Select Entry Accelerated Learning Program (SEALP)
Belmont High School is one 37 Victorian Government secondary schools providing a Select Entry Accelerated Learning Program to address the learning needs of their gifted and high potential students.
Curriculum acceleration differs from the mainstream program in that it:
- provides a faster-paced curriculum with less repetition,
- supports greater study of highly abstract, complex and in-depth concepts,
- supports students to develop complex, high-level investigative, problem-solving and creative thinking skills,
- fosters a learning environment where students are challenged by their intellectual peers and develop academically, socially and emotionally.
At Belmont High School students undertaking this program will be accelerated in English, Mathematics, Science, Humanities and Languages. Other subjects will be studied with mainstream classes including, Arts, Technology and Physical Education.
The aims of the program are:
- to create a more challenging learning environment
- to guarantee proficiency in the basic curriculum
- to provide an opportunity for highly talented and motivated students to undertake a school program that meets their specific needs (including post Year 3 SEAL).
Students in this program complete the schools Year 7-10 curriculum in three years instead of the usual four.
They may then opt to:
- Complete VCE in two years and enter tertiary education earlier.
- Take a wider choice of VCE subjects over 3 years. Perhaps also including first year university subjects.
- Select some VCE and some Year 10 subjects to extend themselves in areas of special interest whilst broadening their educational base.
Selection Process for 2022
Selection Process for 2022
Please note the following changes with regard to the Belmont High School – Select Entry Accelerated Learning Program (SEALP) application and enrolment process for the 2022 SEALP intake.
- Belmont HS will continue to run an Accelerated Learning program in 2022.
- Selection for the SEALP class will continue to be based on:
- General aptitude test evaluating mathematical, problem solving, comprehension and creative writing abilities.
- Primary teacher evaluations.
- Parent Questionnaire.
- Interview – with the student and parent(s)/guardian(s).
- Select Entry Accelerated Learning Program Information Evening – Wednesday 10th March 2021 @ 6:00PM, Location: Belmont High School – Performing Arts Centre.
Enter via Rotherham Street
This is a ticketed event. Please click on the following link to register for the Information Evening.
- SEALP Applications close – Wednesday 24th March 2021
- SEALP Testing: dates will be available at the SEALP Information evening, and are listed on the Application Form.
- Please direct queries to BHS on 5243 5355.
Applications are also available from the Belmont High School General Office.