Collaborative event for the Geelong region.
CAREERS THAT CARE
Friday 1st April, our Geelong partner schools combined their alumni resources together for a regional Q&A session focusing on “Careers that Care”. Year 10-11 students from Belmont High School, Matthew Flinders Girls Secondary College, North Geelong Secondary College, Western Heights College and event host Newcomb Secondary College gathered together at Newcomb SC.
Our very own Campbell Buchanan-Huhn spoke to y10-11 students from five state secondary schools in Geelong. The audience of 80 students had the opportunity to hear about personal experiences, reflections, insights into jobs and advice from others that have come before them. Campbell shared his insights into teaching (& being a student). He offered that teaching is a terrific career if you’re a naturally organised & caring person. He reflected that his respect and good manners took him a long way. Now he sees learning as a partnership between student and teacher and is always striving for his students to get the best results they can. And in a lovely alumni link, his yr 12 PE teacher Mr Ellis was sitting inthe audience to hear Campbell speak. Campbell and Dave now work together at BHS and enjoy themselves immensely.
Thank you to our alumni speakers for sharing your stories and valuable advice:
– Jessie Christiaans, Class of 2014, Matthew Flinders Girls’ Secondary College Alumni, occupational therapist and business owner
– Cassie Balazs, Class of 2004, North Geelong Secondary College Alumni, early psychosis clinician
– Gab Pappalardo, Class of 2008, Newcomb Secondary College Alumni, TAC manager
– Campbell Buchanan-Huhn, Class of 2014, Belmont HS, teacher
– Nicole Scott, Class of 2013, Western Heights College Alumni, mental health youth worker
Alumni Program Coordinator